Brand TLDs & Digital Strategies
New Brand Registries: Leaders and Followers
As of September 2015, 517 brands have signed ICANN agreements to operate proprietary Brand Registries. That’s an increase of 180 signings compared to June, when 337 had signed their agreements.
Digital executives looking at Brand Registries may ask, “If the Brand Registry is such a great new platform, then why have organizations not deployed use cases and/or brand registry enabled services?” Here are 8 reasons that tell the tale.
- Many digital executives tuned it out. It has been coming for years. Other quarterly priorities have ruled.
- Internal executives and teams lack an understanding of its disruptive potential. It is not possible to be an internal Champion of an initiative that is not understood. Rather than admit lack of knowledge, they and advisors dismiss.
- To date, legal has been in charge. Legal should not be expected to educate the C-Suite on digital innovation.
- Big organizations move slowly and by committee. Status quo is comfortable and easy.
- Change is hard. Change is risky. Change is feared.
- Domain sentiment in general is negative, since domains are notoriously a pain to manage.
- It is safer to be a follower. It is easy to say “No” to something new. Hard to say “Yes” to uncertainty.
- ICANN process and rules are difficult to understand.
While the above reasons are true for Followers, the premise of the question is wrong. The fact is, there are digital leaders testing the waters. In some cases, making a full commitment to revolutionize how they market to, engage with and service customers on their Brand Registry. These Leaders are building their .BrandIQ and building a competitive advantage. To educate yourself and understand .BrandIQ, feel free to download our eBook. CLICK HERE FOR THE EBOOK.
Over the next months, we will see more market LEADERS emerge, deploying use cases that separate themselves from their competition. In our ever changing digital landscape, leaders particularly and fast followers secondly will be the winners. Those that sit and do nothing will, well do nothing and fall behind. Don’t be that brand.
Thanks for checking in.